In 1908, the communities of Janeville, Clarkstown and Clandeboye joined together to form the village of Eastview. In 1913, Eastview was incorporated as a town. Originally it was a popular destination for civil servants who wished away from downtown.
Because of a large influx of French-Canadians, Eastview became the main francophone area in the capital. In 1963 Eastview became a city, and in 1969 the city was renamed after the recently-deceased Governor General of Canada, Georges Vanier.
Ottawa's Vanier neighbourhood is a former municipality which ceased to exist in 2001 by becoming part of the city of Ottawa. Now Vanier has 15,726 residents (2006 census).
The Quartier Vanier Merchants Association was officially created in 1985 to help promote and enhance merchants in Vanier. This historic downtown commercial district is rich from its past days – due to its first entrepreneurs. Its close proximity to Ottawa’s downtown core makes it an ideal place to set up shop or to buy a home.